Tuesday, June 10, 2008

There's power in that Name

So I didn't post anything yesterday...not necessarily because I didn't have time, but because I had some pretty awesome thoughts throughout the entire day and I was waiting until I could relay them in some consice form.....don't think I'm there yet but I'll post anyway.

I spend time with God in the mornings before I go to work, which usually ends up being from 6:30 to 7:15am.....really not enough time, I would very much like for it to be longer....but I get up at 6am already and the entire day gets me exhausted. No excuse though....
Anyway....I've been reading through a chronological bible during those times and I decided I really wanted God to show me something amazing--to open up my eyes and teach me something new and that He would have the freedom to do that throughout the whole bible, not just through Samuel or Psalms (which is where I am chronologically). So using the best random system I knew how: I prayed and flipped randomly to a section in the bible.

I came across John chapter 18 where Jesus is met in the Garden by His betrayers. Here's the amazing part that God showed me (vs. 4-7): when they told Him they were looking for Jesus of Nazareth, He replied, "I AM he." Then they (Judas and a contingent of Roman soldiers and Temple guards) drew back and fell to the ground! In my NLT version the I AM is capitalized referring to the Old Testiment when God tells Moses His name. Jesus is standing there, says His Name and all His enemies fall backwards!!! Its so awesome!!!

This makes me think of a lot of stuff: (1) When Jesus returns [Revelation 19:15] "from His mouth came a sharp sword to strike down the nations..." Simply opening His mouth, he can slay His enemies. Reading a commentary the author states that in doing this He shows His power and offers them an opportunity to repent and praise Him. He very well could have not only thrown them to the ground but thrown them into Hell. He didn't because he knew it wasn't time, instead it was His time to lay down His own life. (2) There is a reference to where God told Moses His name in Exodus 3. Moses asks what he should say when people ask the name of the God he represents. God replies, "I AM who I AM. Say this to the people of Israel: I AM has sent me to you.....Say this to the people of Israel: Yahweh, the God of your ancestors...has sent me to you. This is my eternal name, my name to remember for all generations." Yahweh is basically interchangeable with I AM. Yahweh is actually YHWH, its also The LORD in the bible which is God's name...the Jews believed you weren't supposed to speak it---so you wouldn't accidently blaspheme God's name. I'm not sure, but I don't think there are many other places where I AM is used. Then to see Jesus claiming to be I AM and the explosive power of that Name.....its amazing!!! (3) This also makes me think about being slain in the spirit....how God's power threw them off of their feet. (4) I decided to listen to a sermon on God's name (I specifically wanted a whole sermon on "I AM" but got more than that!!) and found John Piper's sermon: "I AM who I AM" It was really good and mentioned about seven points for that topic. A few of the most interesting ones mentioned that 'I AM' allows for no beginning or end. You can ask someone where they are from, how they got there...who their parents are. When you ask God....He just is. He has no beginning. Another point is that He is indescribable. I AM who I AM = I am God, I am all things good....

This morning I wanted some time with Him that would be just as amazing and that He would allow me to understand His power. I flipped again...and came upon the exact same passage. I then flipped to a random place in Psalms and came across Psalm 29.
The voice of the Lord:
echos above the sea
is powerful
is majestic
splits the might cedars (shatters the cedars of Lebanon)
strikes with bolts of lightning
makes the barren wilderness quake
twists mighty oaks and strips the forests bare

Dang!!! His voice is pretty powerful...no wonder those men (soldiers and temple guards) were thrown off of their feet.

That's all I have for now....I might add more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home