Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Why do we all want to write books?

I finished Dangerous Wonder yesterday and as I said it was good. It was kind of all about throwing caution to the wind and realizing the law was made for those who wonder off the trail. Childlike faith is important-- it was important to Jesus, yet we spend most of our time making up rules to follow and kicking the childlike-ness out of each other. The author challenges us to embrace childlike-ness, why shouldn't we? We are too afraid that we'll look weird compared to others. I don't remember comparing myself to others when I was 5 yrs old and the bible says we will look weird anyway.....we are supposed to be fools in the eyes of the world. If we don't are we doing something wrong. I would guess that just as we can't serve both God and money, we can't look 'cool' in both God's eyes and the eyes of the world.

Moving on, I'm now reading Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. This one is fiction and really good, I have a hard time putting it down when I finally have work to do. I'm only a fourth of the way through but so far its about two men. One man, Ben is a successful business man who went to Harvard, and went through a divorce losing his wife and two kids for further success. He was once a strong believer and now can't remember the last time he prayed. His friend, who he met in college and invited to a campus ministry, is Li Quan from China. Coming to America he found a relationship with Christ and earned a PhD in History. Moving back to China, he couldn't find a job since he was now a Christian and now works as a poor locksmith. Ben is visiting Li Quan on business to learn more about the culture.
Its basically a book on Christian persecution.


So in the middle of reading this book and thinking about spiritual warfare, I kinda thought of a cool fiction book to write, or really one idea for a possible book. (I'll probably never write a book. I'm too lazy and I hate writing)
So here's my idea kind of based off of Eph. 6:11- 17
Two friends find out about an underground spiritual warfare training thing that goes on at like 3am every morning. One has been a few times before the other thinks their friend is crazy. They both grab their bibles--their swords and head off down dark alleys until they find the place. Once inside the friend who has been there before starts telling the other friend how everything works. The bible is your sword and to use it you have to quote scripture. At first you have to visualize yourself with sword in hand ready to attack then quote some verses to finally get used to 'fighting.' Having only a handful of verses memorized the 'novice' friend gets discouraged but finally spouts out a long verse: Heb. 4:12, does a couple flicks of the wrist, spins into a kick and finishes with a couple jabs. In awe of the adrenaline rush and the power of the Word the friend gets even more excited.........

I'll leave that for someone else to write a book about.....that was too much writing and thinking for me. I think I'll just read!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home