Monday, June 2, 2008

Resistance

Resistance:

--opposition, refusal to comply, force that opposes an opposite force
--defiance, refusal, fight, struggle, conflict, challenge, disobedience, rebelliousness, insolent....

(also an illegal secret organization that fights for national freedom against an occupying power, especially one that fought in France, the Netherlands, Denmark or Italy during WWII)
Who knew.

Why are we so resistant?
As children we can't stand not going our own way. As children of God, we fight to do what we want, we fight to take control. Even in tiny, somewhat irrelevant situations.
A synonym of resistance is disobedience. Is it still considered disobedience when we are initially resistant then finally give in? If so, Wow!! I'm pretty disobedient.

I kind of think it is still disobedience. Picture a kid at a grocery store. They want candy and of course their parents don't want them to have any. The parent grabs them by the hand expecting to lead them away from the candy. The kid resists and pulls away....the parent is so much stronger than the kid and drags the kid in the opposite direction. The kid isn't acting obediently at all!!! That's what I do all the time with God.
Even today or situations where I have a set up schedule that I plan to stick to. My boss gave me a bit more work to do: sectioning a rat brain and mounting the tissue on slides, she wanted me to let her know when I was done so she could look at them (she was excited to see if an experiment worked). I figured I'd be done in an hour so I could take my break at 12pm, then start on another experiment that had to be started at 1pm. Well it was taking me much longer than an hour and all of the sudden it was 1pm. So I had to quickly start the other experiment, this made my sectioning go by even slower. I finally finished sectioning around 2:30. I could leave my stuff and take a lunch break (I was starving), or I could go and tell my boss that I had finished if she wanted to take a look at the slides. Even in this situation...which doesn't matter at all to the world....my flesh was battling my spirit. Food can always wait, and my boss was anticipating looking at the slides. It took me several minutes to finally decide to take them to my boss. Then of course I had to sit and look at them with her. 3:30 I get to eat some food, but only 10 minutes at a time due to the other experiment that I was running. I knew what I was supposed to do.....but my flesh was only thinking of myself. Like I said...really, it didn't matter. If I hadn't told my boss I was done, she wouldn't have known.
Is that disobedience? I didn't do it until God dragged me by the hand and it wasn't even that big of a deal!!!

After this I read Ephesians 6:7 where it talks about us working with a smile on our faces, working as if we were working for God....because we are. Then I think about all the grumbling I do. I would be pretty annoyed with it if someone were grumbling when I told them to do something, no matter how important it seemed.

I need to cut down on my resistance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home